Austin, Texas is known for a number of things, including:
- Live music: Austin is often referred to as the “Live Music Capital of the World,” with a thriving music scene that features a wide range of genres, including blues, jazz, folk, and rock. The city is home to numerous music festivals, including South by Southwest (SXSW) and Austin City Limits, and has many live music venues, such as Stubb’s BBQ and the Continental Club.
- Technology and innovation: Austin is home to a number of technology companies and startups, and is often referred to as the “Silicon Hills.” The city is known for its strong entrepreneurial spirit and has a thriving tech scene.
- Food: Austin is known for its diverse food scene, which ranges from BBQ and Tex-Mex to vegetarian and vegan options. Some popular local dishes include breakfast tacos and queso.
- Outdoor recreation: Austin is situated in central Texas, and the surrounding Hill Country region offers a number of outdoor recreational opportunities, such as hiking, biking, and swimming in natural springs. The city is also home to a number of parks, including the Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail and Zilker Metropolitan Park.
- Art and culture: Austin has a vibrant arts and culture scene, with numerous galleries, museums, and performance venues. The city is also home to a number of public art installations, including murals and sculptures.
I decided to visit the Museum of Ice Cream while I was there. It is a very Willy Wonka child-like experience. Lots of fun. Very short experience and way overpriced. But any place I can get samples of ice cream and end off with a cocktail at an ice cream bar…is a good day!
Austin, Texas is a great destination for a solo or group trip for women. Here are some ideas for things to do and places to stay in Austin:
- Take a self-guided tour of the city’s public art, including murals and sculptures. Some popular areas to explore include South Congress Avenue and the West 6th Street District.
- Visit the Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail, which offers stunning views of the city and is a great place for a morning jog or afternoon stroll.
- Check out the women-owned businesses in the city, such as Hey Cupcake! for tasty treats and Charm School Vintage for unique fashion finds.
- Attend a music festival or concert in Austin, which is known for its live music scene. Some popular venues include Stubb’s BBQ and the Austin City Limits Moody Theater.
- Stay at a women-focused hotel or hostel, such as the Heywood Hotel or the Hostelling International Austin. These accommodations offer a safe and welcoming environment for female travelers.
- Explore the city’s food scene, which ranges from BBQ to Tex-Mex to vegetarian and vegan options. Some popular spots include Franklin Barbecue and Guero’s Taco Bar.
- Visit the State Capitol Building and take a tour to learn more about Texas history and government.
No matter what you choose to do, Austin is a welcoming and friendly city that is perfect for a women’s getaway.